The Texas State Affordable Housing Corporation (TSAHC) was created with the vision that every Texan has the opportunity to live in safe, decent and affordable housing. All TSAHC programs are offered statewide, with special attention given to rural areas and other select target areas.
The Texas State Affordable Housing Corporation serves the housing needs of low, very low and extremely low-income Texans and other underserved populations who do not have comparable housing options through conventional financial channels.
- Homes for Texas Heroes Home Loan Program: for teachers, fire fighters and EMS personnel, police and correctional officers, and veterans.
- Homes Sweet Texas Home Loan Program: for Texas home buyers with low and moderate incomes.
- A 30-year fixed interest rate mortgage loan, several rates and loan options available
- Down payment assistance (DPA) 3% to 5% of the loan amount
- You do not have to be a first-time homebuyer
- Not required to live in the home for any set period of time
- DPA is a gift that never needs to be repaid
- Available statewide through a network of participating lenders
First-time buyers can also apply for a Mortgage Credit Certificate.
TSAHC offers two types of assistance:
- 30-year fixed interest rate mortgage loan
- Down payment and closing cost assistance grant of up to 5% of the loan amount (on FHA, VA, USDA and HFA Preferred Assisted loans)
- Down payment assistance grant is a gift and never needs to be repaid
- Provides the home buyer with up to $2,000 every year as a special federal income tax credit based on the interest paid on the mortgage loan
- Can save the home buyer thousands of dollars over the life of the loan
- Exclusively for first-time home buyers or individuals who have not owned a home in the last three years
- Can be used with TSAHC’s Down Payment Assistance
You cannot apply for either type of assistance AFTER you have closed on your home loan. Assistance is only available during the home purchase process.